AIIMS Madurai: Transforming Healthcare Infrastructure in TN
In unarguably the biggest ever boost to quality and affordable healthcare for people especially in Southern Tamil Nadu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone for the new AIIMS in Madurai district on 27th January, Sunday. The Multi Super Speciality hospital is to be set up in Thoppur, about 15 Kms from Madurai.
The hospital which has been a long standing demand of the people in Madurai and adjourning districts since decades, will finally see the light of the day following the Narendra Modi led Cabinet’s approval in Dec 2018 under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana( PMSSY ) scheme.
Apart from laying the foundation stone of AIIMS, Prime Minister Modi will also inaugurate the Super Speciality blocks of Rajaji Medical College in Madurai, Thanjavur Medical College and Tirunelveli Medical College, thereby giving a massive boost to quality healthcare infrastructure and health education in Southern Tamil Nadu.
Here’s all that you need to know about the new AIIMS in Madurai and how it will augment quality healthcare.
• The hospital will be built at a cost of Rs. 1264 crore, with completion scheduled by Sep 2022.
• It will have a capacity of 750 beds and spread across a total area of about 200 acres.
• The hospital will have 18 in-house Speciality/ Super-Speciality departments catering to complex medical needs as well.
• Around 1500 out patients per day are expected to get benefited.
• With a long term focus on quality education, 100 UG and 60 B.Sc Nursing seats will also be added.
• Approx 3000 jobs to be created in various faculty/ non faculty positions besides many other employment opportunities.